Geoff Baker appointed Principal Urban Designer
HBO+EMTB has announced that Geoff Baker is rejoining the firm as Principal Urban Designer.
Geoff previously held senior design roles with HBO+EMTB in the 2000s before relocating to Hong Kong.
He is also a former Chief Urban Designer at the New York City Planning Commission and is acknowledged internationally for his work in the redevelopment of one of the world’s most famous public spaces, Times Square.
Geoff will play a major role in HBO+EMTB Urban and Landscape Design, a specialist company within the HBO+EMTB group.
HBO+EMTB Managing Director Kevin Fitzgerald said Geoff is one of Australia’s most accomplished urban design practitioners, with more than 30 years experience in Australia and the USA. He is also very familiar with our firm and our culture and we are delighted he is rejoining us.
“His expertise includes town centre, campus, residential and business park master planning; streetscape and public space design, road rail and bus transitway infrastructure design; preparation of development controls and zoning instruments and the provision of specialist advice to private and public entities.
“Geoff focuses on the strategic aspects of urban design, the seamless integration of all design fields and successful delivery of built outcomes of the highest design quality,” Mr Fitzgerald said.
Prior to rejoining HBO+EMTB he most recently led the urban design group at CMP in Sydney where his major projects included master planning the Nan Tien University in Wollongong, the Wodonga Business Enterprise Park, infrastructure design for the western Sydney orbital motorway, Pacific Highway upgrades and the Liverpool to Parramatta Bus transitway.
Before returning to Australia in 1998 Geoff worked for 14 years at the New York City Planning Commission, ultimately as Chief Urban Designer and is recognised internationally for his role in the reinvigoration of Times Square through the crafting of specific urban design controls for the precinct which have seen the area transformed from a seedy, dangerous space to one of the safest, most celebrated and most visited public places in the USA.
- HBO+EMTB to restructure for growth
- Recent Media: The Australian, Football NSW given go-ahead for new headquarters
- Bold design for new 300 room Starwood Hotel
- Designing for a new era of the world game in NSW
- Recent Media: Microsoft fitout featured in Cubes Magazine
- North Penrith Commuter Car Park officially opened
- Cathy Ingram appointed Principal Designer in Perth
- Recent Media: Melbourne studio on right track for ultimate success
- Craigieburn Train Maintenance Facility shortlisted at the 2012 WAF Awards
- Associate Director Appointed in Mumbai
- Recent Media: Citrix Systems, Interior Magazine
- International architect Dominik Mazur appointed to HBO+EMTB Wellington
- HBO+EMTB appointed to refurbish the Gold Coast Turf Club
- Recent Media: Starting Over, Trends Magazine
- HBO+EMTB appointed to refurbish The Lodge
- Local government partnerships critical to Perth’s affordable housing crisis
- HBO+EMTB appoints Principal Designer in Sydney studio
- Recent Media: Geoff Baker in Profile, Architecture & Design
- Recent Media: ASIC featured in Indesign Magazine
- HBO+EMTB designing for a new era of Rugby League